Friday, August 10, 2012

August UFO Rescue

The UFO number for August is #7, which is my sunflower quilt. 
It would be great to have this one hanging in my dining room in the fall. I don't know why this project jumped into the UFO closet since I really liked it...must have just been the volume of quilts I had on the go at the time. And when was that? 
Well, the last sighting of this quilt was September 2007! OMG! 
The first step in a UFO rescue is to collect up any of the original fabric that is still around, see how much of my original plan I can recall (usually not much!), and make a finishing plan.  This was a mystery quilt posted at Quiltaholics and 
luckily for me, all the required fabric was with the project, and I found the original instructions!  Also some of the pieces for the border have already been cut and sewn, so it should be a relatively easy-to-finish UFO...famous last words?!?!?! 
Especially since my sewing machine is in hospital (*insert sad face*). It appears as though it might need some reconstructive surgery and the mechanic reassured me that he could probably fix it. I will call again tomorrow, ask about the condition of my baby sewing machine and see how freaked out I might be!

12 comments:

Amy said...

OH! Imagine my disappointment as I read over your UFO status (with a SMILE at your 'famous last words') and then read about the hospitalization of your machine. I certainly hope it is a SHORT hospitalization and that all news is good.
With it in the shop, what are your plans? Organize fabric? scraps? Cut and tidy?

Anonymous said...

It is a very lovely quilt...glad you found all the pieces to complete it. As your baby is in the hospital this is when you realize those with two or more machines have a reason. Me thinks you need to go shopping for a spare antique machine like Bonnie Hunter. She must have three or more machines. At least you could do the piecing and wait for your baby to come home to complete the quilt. Good luck and speedy recovery to your baby!
Northern Blog Stalker
P.S. I didn't sign off yesterday in case you were wondering that anonymous one was me!!!

Deb A said...

Beautiful quilt and so glad everything was left with it. Hopefully the news is good on the machine and you get baby back quickly. I see some hand work in the waiting time.

Janet O. said...

Ah, this is a beauty--perfect fall decor! Lucky you to have the pattern and fabrics still intact!
Definitely I would put a second-hand machine on my shopping list. I just saw a nice old Singer in a thrift store yesterday for $20. I was so tempted to buy, but I have 3 sewing machines (my old one, my new one and my Mom's old one) and I am determined NOT to collect them. : )

AnnieO said...

This is the time you wish for a spare machine! I have one that needs to be serviced and keep telling myself I should get that done in case of emergencies like you mention! Really pretty UFO, glad it is getting it's time to shine after years in the cupboard :)

audrey said...

Good luck on getting your machine back asap. It's never a good time for breakdowns!

Mary said...

I have a few spares, but my Janome and Bernina are my Favorites for piecing. I have gotten the collecting bug from Bonnie Hunter, and am still in search of the elusive Featherweight. Sorry your machine is sick, hope it doesn't break the bank to get it out of hospital. I'm happy the pattern and fabric was still with this UFO. That make decisions easier.

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Man I would love to rummage in your cupboard!!!

Thelma said...

Oooh,I love this pattern! I love patterns that you have to look at for awhile to take in all the elements. This is a simple pattern with a lot going on! Good Luck on the machine! I would freak if I didn't have my sewing machine!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

That's funny! 2007!! Now that's what I call a UFO! It's very pretty! You will enjoy it once it's done!! Go Girl!

Dresden Quilter said...

This is beautiful. Glad it is being rescued.

Kate said...

Love the colors in your August UFO. Hope your machine comes home soon.