Friday, October 12, 2012

New Quilt - Jack of Hearts

Yep...I caved, and started a new quilt called "Jack of Hearts". 
But for a good cause all the way around (rationalization at it's best!).
The fabric is old stuff from my stash combined with some fabric from my friend Marion's stash, which I will transform into a comfort quilt to add to my quilt guild's collection of quilts to donate to the Pediatric Sexual Assault unit. 
In addition, the money raised in purchasing the mystery quilt pattern will go towards the medical bills for the cutest little guy named Jack - learn about him here.
Step #1 was sent out last friday and here is my work so far - some sewing done and everything is cut out.
It's not too late if you would like to join in the fun - click here. Thanks to Heather Spence for really living out the message of one of my favorite stories by Loren Eiseley....it's how I want to live and it's why I go to work everyday!


“Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.
One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.
As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.
He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"
The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."
"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.
To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."
Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"
At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said,
"It made a difference for that one.”
― Loren Eiseley


6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Looks like a very fun quilt that will mean a lot to some little person who needs it!
I do love that story. Sadly, I cannot join in--I have to finish throwing back the starfish on my own beach and that is all I can handle right now. : )

Mary said...

I have to get my check in the mail so I can play too. I met HEATHER in person at Trends in September. Such a great cause. I don't need a NEW project, but what the heck.

Jean said...

Love that story! Can't wait to see your quilt progress!

Teresa in Music City said...

What a beautiful story! Looking forward to seeing how your quilt turns out :*)

Kate said...

Love the story. Looking forward to seeing how your mystery quilt comes out.

Heather Spence said...

Kathy...I just...um, I've got tears. Thank you for the sentiment and the story. I hadn't quite thought of it like that before. Just this morning I was thinking, "I feel overwhelmed, there's such great need!" It's easy to feel defeated that way. But thinking of it from the perspective of the one that is being helped...well, that's certainly better than not helping at all. <3 We all need each other, don't we?