Monday, June 29, 2015

Design Wall Monday

Scrap Vortex before lesson #4

I am deep in the Scrap Vortex and up to my elbows in scraps. I started this project last week and have been obsessed with it since then. There are a lot of other things I need to sew, but this keeps whispering to me to just sew one more block.




Amanda Jean is hosting the vortex quilt along and she posted lesson #4 this past week, which was really helpful. I immediately saw the problem - she said a pieced string always looks better. See the long yellow strip joining the two parts of this block together? It had to go. I did a lot of unsewing of the long joining strips and the difference was amazing. 


Scrap Vortex after lesson #4
It was like a magic trick!
I couldn't believe how much more I liked these blocks! I also added in more bright colours like orange and lime green. It is kind of like working on a jigsaw puzzle and fitting everything together somehow. It's so fun! Thank you Gail for being a bad good influence and getting me started on this quilt!
To see more design wall posts, hop over to Patchwork Times.

18 comments:

Gina said...

Great quilt

Gina said...

Great quilt

The Cozy Quilter said...

It seems your scraps are yelling at you to keep working on this quilt. I plan on spending some time with my scraps tonight. Looking good!

Kristin said...

...listen to the whispers...
=)

scraphappy said...

What fun! Look at all those sad little scraps who have found a happy forever home. They look quite cheery now.

Gretchen Weaver said...

It is so easy to start a new project while working on another one. I'm standing firm with my current project but I'm thinking this looks like so much fun. I think I'll start her in a couple weeks. You are an enabler but that is ok.

Janet O. said...

It is amazing the difference it makes to have the connecting strips be pieced. You are having way too much fun! : )

Mary said...

What an Enabler!!! I have to RESIST this one. Scraps Multiply at my house when I try to use them all up.

Sheila said...

You blocks are wonderful. Colorful and happy. I love them! You go girl!

Kaja said...

You are speeding along with this. Changing those strings for pieced ones really made a difference too.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Fun looking blocks!

Mystic Quilter said...

Wow you are really putting these blocks out with a vengeance but as you say they are addictive!I could sit there for hours playing and Jean did make a good point with the pieced strips as I too had one or two long strips in mine.

Cathy said...

You're making great progress on these! Looking good!

Flickenstichlerin said...

What a cute project, love scraps.
Pieced strings are so helpful, thank you for this information, I was debating on this question for quiet a while.
Greetings,
Sylvia

AnnieO said...

Pretty entertaining watching you get caught up in the VORTEX! (Insert groan here :))

Scrappy quilter said...

I love how it's turning out. So pretty!

Teresa in Music City said...

Love seeing how your vortex blocks are coming together! Now my fingers are itching to dump some of my scraps and start playing with them too :*)

Barb said...

Love what is on your design wall....funny how just one item taken away can make a difference