Thursday, September 24, 2015

Trauma Recovery

Great news! My blog photos from the last 5 years have re-emerged from the ether!
My son and I worked on my computer yesterday for 2 hours, and we (and by "we", I mean "he"!) installed new hard drives and downloaded stuff like a new web browser and blah, blah, blah, I'm not sure what! 

The dusty guts of my trusty old computer
It was like doing CPR on my old computer. Never once did he suggest "putting it down" which bodes well for me in the future, eh?!?! LOL
He did almost give up at one point. We were unable to locate my photos in Picasa, which is where my blog photos have been stored for the past 9 years. This past week I discovered that I had a new Google Plus account, which I didn't ever sign up for because I don't like it and I didn't want it. And somehow the photos were stored on that Google Plus thing, and disappeared when I tried to get rid of it. 
No can do! You cannot unsubscribe from Google Plus. But you can lose a lot of photos in the process.
2 GB of old memory in my hand

Once my son figured out where the photos had gone, he was able to learn from his internet research how to retrieve them. And he did! Although he tried to convince me that everything about computers is logical and based on algorithms, I experienced the whole traumatic event as illogical and mysterious.
Wow... this was another huge lesson for me. I am way too attached to my blog everything. My son said "Nothing is permanent Mom." 
Gulp.
Amazingly the photos have reappeared, I am recovering from the trauma, and I have discovered that my son is actually a wise old magician!
This event was the push I needed to get my blog published in a more permanent form, such as a book. That will be my goal for the weekend - to research options for printing. And then Mr. Google Plus won't be able to take all that history away randomly. 
My wise son also texted me: "Technology is like a shovel. You can use it to plant a garden or you can hit yourself over the head with it!" 
How did he get so smart? 

I can now be found in my sewing room, trying to recover from the trauma of hitting myself over the head with this technological shovel! I am sewing little pieces together for Lori's Country Roads mystery quiltalong. Here are the parts for 9 blocks.
And if the computer is indeed fixed, and stays fixed, tomorrow will be the big reveal of my next Scrap Squad quilt!

18 comments:

Janet O. said...

So glad you have a techie son who could restore order to your world.
My daughter publishes her blog each year. I'll be curious to know what you discover as you explore options.

KaHolly said...

Yay! Your son is a riot!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

yay, glad it is sorted ! :)

The Cozy Quilter said...

My daughter is a smart cookie too...she teaches me new stuff all the time and I love it! Just remember that the Apple does not fall far from the tree...sounds like you have a wonderful son and a great relationship with him as well.

Ellen said...

Yaaay for our little boys that grow into smart, wise, helpful and lovable young men. I am sure that had a lot to do with you!!

Deanna W said...

Aren't we lucky we raised such smart kids that can help us with that technological shovel!!! Glad you got everything up and running again.Sad you didn't get to join us on the weekend!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It is always good to have a 'geek' in the family. I don't, but I have one to borrow from up the road.

Mary said...

He's a good helper! Hope you can find a way to publish your Blog. Glad we only have to wait 1 more day for the Scrap Squad quilt.

AnnieO said...

We borrowed our son's techie friend to transfer files to a new computer with a safer operating system. It was worth the $100 we paid him--though he told us he usually only charges $40. But as you know, it takes hours and hours to do computer research and restore! Congrats on retrieving the photos. Now, back up your blog regularly!

Chantal said...

Wise word indeed from your son. I too had some fun with Google Chrome who suddenly, after an update, decided which blog I could comment and which I couldn't. So now I sign in through FireFox and I comment where I WANT! Ha! So happy you go your problem fixed. Good lesson for all of us; to hire your son as he won't terminate us lol. Happy sewing. ;^)

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Whew! How lucky to have someone tech savvy in the family!!

Raewyn said...

Whew! I think the ways of the internet are a mystery to many of us. Thank goodness for the skills of your wise son!

Lesley Gilbert said...

So pleased to know you have your photo's back, with a little help from your son :p

and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with this new quilt....

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Precisely why I hate Google Plus and will never use it. They want to lock you into their sites. This Blogger account I use for commenting is also a Google thing, but it just shows how to get to my real blog addy. I use Flickr for uploading pictures. It is said that electronically, you haven't backed it up well until it is stored in three places - cloud, on your hard drive and on a back up drive.

Ivani said...

Good that your son could help you solve the problem. Wise son!!
To recover from the trauma let's sew! Hugs

Lisa J. said...

I don't know what we would do without the kids. Although I'm afraid mine couldn't help me with what you experienced. I do have a nephew who could though so I'm not panicking at this point.

Kate said...

Oh wow, sounds like your son worked a wonders. Glad that you were able to get everything back.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've been thinking of making a book from my blog posts. Let us know what you learn, please. Glad your son could fix stuff. I already knew I didn't want Google plus, now there is another reason to avoid it.