Friday, November 27, 2015

Scrap Squad Starburst

My 5th Scrap Squad quilt is finished!


The original pattern is "Candy Cane Crush" by Sandra Clemons. I used the block pattern and then decided to put the blocks on point. To read more about this quilt, hop over to the Quiltmaker blog (not posted yet but stay tuned!) where I wrote about the design decisions, the construction of the top, and the machine quilting.
Even after all these years of making quilts, this one challenged me in new ways. 

These are some of the things I learned in making this quilt:
1) I learned how to painstakingly sew a border on the edge of a quilt with more than 160 blocks that need to be sewn precisely in order to not lose the points of all the squares.

2) I learned that it is a real challenge to make a quilt with so much white fabric. Every single stray thread showed on the quilt. I had to use the sticky lint roller on the backing, the batting, and both sides of the quilt top before basting. And then again after quilting. And still there were threads that were noticeable. 

3) I also learned that it is nearly impossible to photograph a white quilt and get the colour balance accurate.



4) And I was reminded not to try to photograph a quilt on a windy day! Remember when I tried to photograph Easy Street? The problem was that I cut it too close in terms of the timing for finishing the quilt and getting the photos taken for the deadline for writing the Quilty Pleasures blogpost. 

Because it is totally dark outside after 5 pm (when getting home from work) and I have poor indoor lighting for a white quilt (which makes it look yellow) the photos had to be taken on the windy day. Trying to get some decent photos in sub optimal conditions was not fun for me, but was quite entertaining for the neighbours!

20 comments:

Mary said...

I love it! The colors are my faves. Another winner from the scrap squad. I have had rainy & Snowy weather and that's not easy to take photos in either.

Kate said...

Beautiful quilt! I agree that keeping the white parts white is a real challenge.

The way our house is sited makes it difficult for me to get natural light photos. I've found that Photoshop Elements has a great menu option called "remove color cast". It does a really nice job of taking out the yellow tint that is pervasive with indoor lighting. Photoshop Elements isn't exactly cheap, but it's really useful if you can't arrange to get natural lighting. It does a lot of other stuff too and can be really handy to have on your computer.

Julierose said...

Lovely quilt finish--love blue and white quilts--and yours is spectacular....hugs, Julierose

Dolores said...

My favourite colour! Quite a beauty. What size is it?

Deb A said...

Love the colors. Good tip on the white with the thread.... maybe I need to rethink the white for the dresden plates.....

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOVE The windy quilt....looks like it is taking OFF! :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the quilt - you sure have a windy day but how pretty the quilt is blowing in the wind

Angie in SoCal said...

What a beautiful, deceptively simple looking quilt. I'm still trying to see the block on point. Just gorgeous, Kathy. Great job.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm thankful for your blustery day photos. They entertained the neighbors and me. I know how frustrated you must have been, but LOVE the fact that you posted them anyway... in an effort to be "Keeping it real!!" Your quilt turned out beautifully.

swooze said...

Love your quilt. Before I read the text I was thinking wouldn't that look great on point! Lol

AnnieO said...

Very very pretty! I don't work with white often but agree with the threads showing through easily! Congrats on another finished quilt!

Ellen said...

Congrats on such a gorgeous quilt - I love the colour scheme!

Lisa J. said...

It's a really beautiful quilt and I did notice it's whiteness. It looks just like your kind of quilt with all those little blocks.

Ivani said...

Just Beautiful! You did a great job.

Jo said...

I can picture a serene, fresh room that is decorated around this quilt, it's gorgeous!

Jo said...

I can picture a serene, fresh room that is decorated around this quilt, it's gorgeous!

Janet O. said...

A lovely quilt!
I am surprised you got that quilt holding still at all, based on the photos at the end. Looks like a blustery day!

Katie Z. said...

You did a fabulous job!

Gretchen Weaver said...

The quilt is beautiful, I love those colors! Congratulations on the finish! Blessings, Gretchen

Kristin said...

Your quilt turned out great! Sorry about all of the struggles-- we've all been there! The quilts that torment us usually are some of our best! =)