Monday, December 07, 2015

Design Wall Monday



Allietare parts are on the design wall today. Step #2 was posted on friday and my parts were completed by Sunday. 
Here's a photo of the bin that stores my mystery parts sewn so far, minus the ones on the design wall, and the ones sitting on the ironing board!
It doesn't look like much yet, but just you wait. It will magically morph into something else week by week.



Step #2 was an easy step to work on and everything measured what it should.

Here are a few sets of some of the blocks on the design wall. 

Don't you think they look like rows of Santa hats? 






I was happy that this project gave me an opportunity to try out the Omnigrid Glow Line Tape I bought a while ago. The tape is used to mark shapes or lines on rulers, and it's one of those purchases you make and then wonder if you will actually ever use it. 
Can you see the yellow strip on the ruler below the red strip of fabric? It is a visual guide to help line up the strip with the correct measurement on the ruler. The benefit is that your brain doesn't have remember the size you need, and your eyes don't have to look for the numbers every time you reset the ruler. The tape guides your vision right to the line you need to see. The cutting went so much faster once I put the tape on. The colour of the tape is faint, not too distracting, but easy to locate.  I placed it slightly below the cutting line so that I could still see exactly where to line up the fabric strip. The tape is not very sticky, so it comes off easily which is great because you don't want sticky residue on your rulers. 
Hop over to Quiltville to see more Allietare progress postings, and then go visit Patchwork Times to see more design walls.

16 comments:

SandraC said...

Ooh, I think I have some of that tape and have never used it! Thanks for the reminder, I'll go dig it up!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Maybe Santa could bring me some of that tape....what a great idea! Those blocks do look like Santa hats!!!

Kaja said...

Your blocks do look very Christmassy; I love those reds.

Judy D in WA said...

I think Santa Hat is new name for this little unit. :) The fun part of Bonnie's mysteries for me is the no thinking, just trust her. Make the step, put it away. I don't try to guess any more.
I have a roll of pink tape that I use around my hexie shape templates for the seam allowances when fussy cutting. I use paper tape on my rulers.

Jo said...

Love your blocks. Could also use painter's tape instead of glow line, maybe cut a half width strip, or a post it note.

Janet O. said...

Only you would see Santa hats in this step! *LOL*
I have a pack of that tape, too. Occasionally I remember that I have it and actually use it. You are right--the color is faint--I expected it to stand out more. But it does the job, nonetheless. I use it as you do--just beyond the line I need so I can still see to line the fabric up exactly.

Balmoral Quilter said...

Using the tape is a great idea! I will definitely be trying this.The more I see of Allietare, the more I want to make it. I may just dive in! Your blocks are looking super!

Deb said...

Love those little 'Santa Hats' I wonder if that tape is similar to highlighter tape which I have used for a while, I will have to keep my eyes open for it.

Feathers in my Nest said...

Oh, I forgot I have that tape! TY...pretty units.

Mary said...

I used the Glow line tape too. I couldn't remember the name when I wrote my post. It sure helps to keep the line where it goes! Santa hats or cut -off geese. I'm curious where they fit in the Quilt! We get to wait until the blocks are revealed, that's the FUN part, right?

Vireya said...

Cute santa hats!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Lovely units for Clue 2, the reds are so pretty.

Terri in BC said...

I love that tape! I put it on one of my rulers to mark the 2 1/2" line, and have never taken it off. Your Allietare blocks look great.

Lee said...

I used and loved that tape also...and it lasts forever. Lately though, with my aging vision, I've found the blue painter's tape works really well too and leaves no gunk when you need to remove it.

Andee said...

Looking good!

Stephie said...

I've always used masking tape for that (painter's tape) - you can get low-tack stuff here, and it doesn't cost too much, anything that's designed specifically for quilting seems to cost an arm and a leg, haha! Love how your mystery is coming along...would drive me nuts not knowing what I was making though!