Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Singing Along

It has been a busy week, in which I have not given myself quite enough time to complete the tasks that need to be done. That's part of what I do before Christmas, so I don't get stressed about it. I know I always get everything done, with seconds to spare! 
And speaking of seconds to spare, did you enter the draw for the "I Believe" Christmas panel?  Click here and leave a comment because the draw will be on Christmas Eve.

I wanted to share one of my favourite moments from this past week with you. It happened when I was at the cashier paying for my purchases. I was told that if I was willing to sing a Christmas song, I could get 20% off my bill. For real?!?
The cashier didn't yet know that I love to sing. She also didn't know that in the last two weeks I have sung in three choir performances, including singing Handel's Messiah while enjoying these beautiful stained glass windows.
But when put on the spot to pick a Christmas song to sing a solo in a store, I was overwhelmed by all the great choices. I started off singing "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas", but really the weather here is terrible... rainy and unbelievably warm, with a possible high of 10+ degrees on Christmas Eve. Yuck. 
So I stopped singing that song once I realized it wasn't a good choice, and I switched to Jingle Bells. The cashier (who was clearly not enjoying this as much as I) said to me:  "You only have to sing the first two lines". 
I pretended I didn't hear her and continued singing until the song was over, and by then other customers were singing with me. We all got 20% off our purchases! And we got to sing! You can't beat that!
And interestingly, the cashier said that not everyone was as enthusiastic, and that some customers preferred to pay full price and not sing! I have been shaking my head about that ever since.
Okay... I'm off to be a singing elf in Santa's workshop!



22 comments:

ES said...

I would have sung!! Ha!! What a funny thing for a shop to request!

SandraC said...

I love to sing, but have an awful singing voice :( but I would have sung, too! Don't need to ask me twice!

SandraC said...

I love to sing, but have an awful singing voice :( but I would have sung, too! Don't need to ask me twice!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Glad to hear you were "making spirits bright!"

liniecat said...

Priceless!!
What a wonderful way to do the shopping - and a discount bonus lol

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOVED THIS STORY!!! Ha ha you were LEADING the choir this time! :)

Vicky said...

A couple of years ago, my priest said at Mass that singing was like praying twice! Hope you have lots more joyful singing this Christmas!

Jacqui's Quilts said...

I wish I had been shopping with you!! That would have been soooo much fun!!! Love it. I would have definitely sung with you :-). Enjoy the last minute bits and pieces...I'm the same way! Always lots to do that last week, but the important stuff always gets done..I have 5 more litle stockings to sew before our family get together on the 29th...better cut them today LOL

Ellen said...

Even though I take after my mother, as a child she was told that she should be a listening bird not a singing bird, I would have belted one out too. Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Kate said...

How fun! Sounds like you were quite an inspiration. Hope you get all your holiday "chores" done. I finished mine at 5:00 PM yesterday. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think that is wonderful - I would sing right along with you.

Missy Shay said...

How fun is that? I can't carry a tune, but love to sing. I'm sure people think I am crazy because I sing along to the music in the stores, I don't care who I irritate. LOL

Lisa J. said...

I've sung for that 20% discount before as well!

cozykoza32a@gmail.com said...

It is wonderful to spread christmas cheer. Wish I could have been there.
Kathy cozykoza32a@gmail.com

Ivani said...

For sure I would sing for the 20% off. LOL Beautiful stained glass window.

Nell's Quilts said...

My sister and I did a wonderful 2 part harmony of I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas for my 20% off. Fun!

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful singing story. Stained glass windows are beautiful. Merry Christmas.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I would have been singing, too, I wouldn't even have needed a 20% off. Merry Christmas!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Such a fun story--I'm pretty sure I would have sung for a discount too! Merry Christmas!!

Monica said...

LOL, great story! Have a wonderful Christmas, and I hope you have plenty more opportunities for song!

Deanna W said...

You are too funny! Despite the weather I am hoping you are having a Merry Christmas season and that all your projects will be finished. I was also running around like a chicken with too many deadlines but got them all done. Well one had to be finished in the van on our travels...but it is done!!!

Deb said...

Oh my I love this, for me the cashier would have offered me 20% off not to sing. I can't carry a tune in a basket.