Friday, June 16, 2017

70273 Block in Remembrance

It's my birthday today!
I am celebrating by making a block for the 70273 Project. Have you heard about that already? 
It's a huge undertaking by Jeanne Hewell-Chambers to commemorate the lives of the physically and mentally disabled people murdered in 1940-41. You can read more about the project here. She is collecting blocks and quilts to create a display that will travel internationally.
I worked for many years with differently abled adults and wanted to contribute in my own small way to this project. 
My block is being made in memory of a little boy who was born in 1974 with spina bifida and hydrocephalus. It was thought that he would likely not survive after he was born, but remarkably he lived for 35 years.  He was one of the first babysitting jobs I had, and certainly my most challenging job due to his special needs. He taught me so much about the challenges that some people endure. He was my teacher, my "ring bearer", and my dear friend.  
I'm sending this block to be a small part of the 70273 Project in memory of my friend David, who was considered "disabled" by the world, and had he lived in Germany in 1940 he would most certainly have received the dreaded XX. But this fragile boy grew up to be an inspiring man who knew how to fully love others, how to be a true friend... and without fail, he remembered to call me every year on my birthday. I will miss that call again this year.
If you feel inclined to make a block for this project, perhaps in memory of someone who is/was not a perfect human specimen and suffered from physical or mental illness, the details are here. Thank you to Jeanne for undertaking this huge project which reminds us of the value of differently abled people, with the hope that we do not repeat the atrocities of generations past.

18 comments:

Jo said...

Such a touching story... Happy birthday

Christine said...

Happy Birthday, Kathy! Enjoy your day.
Have been looking for you at Quilt Canada.
(My birthday was Monday!)
Christine from Ontario

julieQ said...

Happy birthday! I love this story...

piecefulwendy said...

Happy Birthday, Kathy! Our quilt group just finished a 70273 block challenge, and I'll be posting about that in a bit. So glad you made a block in memory of your friend. A kind a thoughtful thing on your birthday. Enjoy your day!

Dianne Cook said...

Wonderful story. Happy Birthday Kathy

LES is More said...

I hope you have a very happy birthday! Thanks for sharing about your friend and the project. One of my sons is autistic and he would have received that mark and been eliminated. Our lives are rich with him in the family!

Janet O. said...

A lovely post. Have family members that I will be doing this for!

Pat said...

Happy Birthday! He helped make your life special, as you did his. It's what we are all about, at our best. Thanks for your best!

Debbie said...

Happy Birthday! What a special young man you are commemorating with your block. I'm working on some blocks to send in, too...in fact I spent the day of this current US president's inauguration making blocks instead of watching him. I'm so glad you shared this project on your blog. May your BIRTHDAY be wonderful!!!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Happy Belated birthday...what a precious story....xxx

Deb A said...

Happy Birthday Kathy!

Barb said...

Happy Birthday Kathy.
What a touching story and sweet photo.

Marie said...

Such a special project, and such a special relationship. Hope you had a wonderful birthday celebration!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Happy belated Birthday! Great way to celebrate it.

AnnieO said...

Happy Birthday! I heard about this project some months ago from a fellow guild member. Sad to see the extreme length of this list, how many children and adults were murdered.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Happy Birthday. I love the gift you GAVE.
xx, Carol

Kristin said...

What a sweet story! I agree-- we need to learn from the past and not repeat our mistakes. xoxo

Jeanne Hewell-Chambers said...

Kathy, Thank you so very much for this - not just the participation in The 70273 Project, but for the story of your dedication and for the work you did with differently-abled adults. A very belated Happy birthday, and one more thank you for celebrating your birthday by making a block. xo