Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Blockheads



Wednesday is the day that the new block pattern is posted for the Blockheads project. This is last week's block called "Bowtie Quartet". I used this as an opportunity to see if I still remembered how to sew a 3D bowtie block. (You can see the mini plaid bowtie quilt I made a few years ago here.)
It is a challenging technique. 
Not only does it resemble origami at one stage of block construction, but there are a few tricks to remember when sewing it that make the difference between success and failure. And the smaller the block is, the harder it is to sew it correctly.
Of course the first attempt (on the right) didn't work properly and no amount of tugging, twisting or ironing the block would get the centre knot to lay flat. Once I remembered how to match the pieces correctly, the second attempt on the left went more smoothly.


Here is my collection of the first 13 blocks on the design wall.
Hop over to Moda to see what block we are making this week.

9 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I've never made a 3D bow tie. Your second attempt looks perfect!

Jo said...

How funny is that. I am teaching this block at my quilting group next week. I spent the weekend doing all my step samples and printing out an instruction sheet. Here is my quilt so far...
https://jobutterfield.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/retreat-time-with-kilmore-quilters.html
Next is to cut 4.5" squares....

Kristie said...

Lovely blocks! I will be teaching this block later this summer. I love making it.
Blessings...
Kristie

Carolyn said...

Love the colors you've chosen and how the blocks look together! I've made all of 3 blocks so far...I'm working on catching up!

Angie said...

I love 3-D BowTie blocks - sew much fun to make! I like how your Blockheads look so far - the pops of cheddar make everything sparkle!

Janet O. said...

The final block looks good. I have never attempted a 3-D block, but I'm sure I could mess it up beautifully!

Deanna W said...

And I love that bowtie block mini.I was the lucky winner when you gave one away...it hangs in my kitchen and I think of you each time I look at it!!

Andee said...

Your blocks look great!

Kate said...

A fun set of blocks! You've done so well at keeping up with all your BOM projects.