Monday, June 12, 2017

FNSI and Design Wall Monday

The Bear quilt (pattern by Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts) is my UFO of the month and I have been working on it regularly. 
The progress is not really noticeable because much of the work is going on in my brain. I'm happy with the two bear paw blocks on the left of "Killarney"  bringing that row up to the necessary width. 
Now I'm trying to decide what looks better - green sashing or no sashing below "Killarney"? And do I want a dark green sashing around this whole section of the quilt?
One of the factors in the decision is that I purchased more neutral background fabric to make the quilt larger (it started as a wallhanging but has grown to a lap quilt), but just realized it's not exactly the same.
I have been using the neutral fabric (in the middle) which looks cream coloured, and the new fabric (on the bottom) looks more white. I intend to use it anyway for the next border, but I might need another fabric around this section of the quilt so that the change in background fabric doesn't bug me so much.


I had cut all the pieces to make one more row of bear paw blocks which will either go on the top or bottom of this section.
Friday night there was an impromptu FNSI and I intended to get all of these sewn.



However, my friend Barbara finally located Canada's 150th birthday limited edition vodka (see my blogpost about it here) and she was making fabulous Cosmopolitans for us. I think that explains the lack of further progress! What happens at FNSI, stays at FNSI!
Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts.

14 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Your bear quilt is Amazing .... nice drinkies ❤️❤️❤️🍺

Jo said...

Yes I would add the sashing under the wording. As well as the corner stones. If you are adding more of the lighter fabric in the border it should look ok... good progress.

Barb said...

mmm, that cosmo looks yummy! Great bear quilt and the letter is fab.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your bear paw points are so perfect.
And cranberry Cosmos...also perfect!

Needled Mom said...

Love your bear quilt.

Laura said...

Lovin' it!

Judy Hansen said...

I would make the sashing below the wording the same as the sashing above the wording, for continuity. Thanks for linking up with Design Wall Mondays.

Shepherdess55 said...

My vote would be for sashing below the wording.

Raewyn said...

I love how your Bears Paw is growing - I must pull mine out again! - I think I would use the sashing. It's a shame about your background fabric - I would probably add another one as well so it looks planned!

Janet O. said...

I vote for sashing below the word, as well.

Sarah said...

The quilt looks great as do the cocktails!

Balmoral Quilter said...

Love, love, love this Kathy! What is the significance of Killarney? Do you have a cottage there?

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, love your quilt. If you're interested, please consider linking up at http://quiltinglearningcombo.blogspot.ca/2017/06/celebrate-fetons-150-in-june.html since your quilt is very Canadian and the vodka goes right along with it!

Zafira @zarkadia said...

Definitely with sashing below Killarney! 😎