Saturday, June 10, 2017

Scrappy Saturday Block Drive

June is the month of sewing up yellow scraps over at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and I made 4 blocks to send to Cynthia . She is collecting blocks for the Covered In Love charity, which provides quilts to patients who are dying. This is a cause that is near and dear to my heart. I know how beneficial the colour, comfort and warmth provided by quilts is for sick patients and their families. 
When my brother was having cancer treatments, he was often cold. When there were scary visits to the ER, painful treatments, and hours of waiting, I always had a quilt in the car just in case he was cold. Here is a picture that captures a very vivid memory because it was a terrible day, and on this day he became particularly enamoured with the back of this quilt, which was "just a panel". It reminded him of days when he was healthy and able to go hiking and camping. It provided warmth, memories, and comfort.
If you are interested in contributing some blocks for the Covered in Love quilts, the tutorial is here
The link up for RSC yellow projects is here.

14 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely YELLOW blocks for the RSC!! I sent Cynthia a batch of blocks last month, as Covered in Love is one of my favorite charity to sew for. Thanks for contributing and passing along the link for others to do the same!

Cathy said...

Just want to add another quilty comfort story...

When my mom was in hospice with cancer they put different purple quilts on her bed because her favorite color was purple. She couldn't remark enough about the quilts on the bed and how she loved them and found them comforting. The quilts also gave a homey feeling to her hospice room. I've made several quilts for that hospice center in her memory hoping other folks in their last stages of life enjoy them.

Nell's Quilts said...

Lovely sunny blocks to help someone in a time of need.

Robin said...

Your post reminded me that quilts are such a comfort to others. I have a quilt all enveloped and ready to tie for a donation - I need to make it happen. My favorite quilt growing up was just a tied flannel quilt. It was such a comfort that I even took it with me to the hospital years later to have my babies. I look forward to reading you every day. Thanks for always being there.

Janet O. said...

Tender memories involved in this post, Kathy.
I am going to check out the link for Covered In Love.

Deb A said...

Thanks for the reminder. I meant to make some when I saw Joyful post about this. Will make some up this week to send out. Great post.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh I remember when you and your brother were going through this. :(

Jo said...

A beautiful colour to cheer up anyone's day. Such a great cause..

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such pretty yellows - perfect for the CIL quilts this month. I sent some to Cynthia too!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a wonderful charity. We do quilts for the cancer centers here too. My mother died of pancreatic cancer, and she loved the quilt I made her for use during her chemo, she was often cold too.

PaulaB quilts said...

It's so special when you have personal experience of how much a quilt can mean to a patient. Your yellow blocks will help someone else to cope.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks for making some blocks. It looks like I will probably be sending about a dozen quilts!

Sheila said...

Wonderful charity. You brother was a good looking young man. I'm sorry for your loss.

Quilter Kathy said...

Thank you Sheila! He was especially handsome when he was well. And he had a beautiful, loving and generous heart