Sunday, June 04, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly Slow Sunday Stitching link up! 
This is where the hand stitchers gather to share the projects they are working on. When you create something with your own hands (not with a machine) it takes a lot longer to finish it. You have to develop perseverance and patience while you make a little bit of progress at a time. You learn to notice and appreciate the small things, and savour the feeling of accomplishment for each small step toward the finish. Sometimes it takes years to sustain the interest in the project. 
Grandma, how's the quilting coming along?!


Such is the case with my oldest UFO which I have been working on (or storing!) for 21 years!
It was pieced in 1996, and the border was added in 2012. 
For real! 
It was pin basted in 2015 and then the hand quilting was started. It's a really big quilt, and too hot to sit under in the summer, so it's a project I only work on in the winter. The time has come to put it away until the cool weather arrives again in the fall. This is the "high tech" chart I made to keep track of my stitching progress over the years.
This is the stitching finished so far:
11 of the 20 large stars done
16 of the 32 small stars done
26 of the 31 diamonds done

That's pretty good... more than half way there, not including the border. Today I am appreciating the progress and pondering how I might eventually quilt the border.
Now it's your turn... please link up your blogpost below and share the progress you are making on your slow stitching projects. 

   
    An InLinkz Link-up
   

16 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Hi Max! So nice to see you supervising the quilting projects again!

Laura said...

No slow stitching for me today as it is a travel day. I do enjoy seeing what others are working on...even the oldies, but goodies!

Teresa said...

Today I play to do some machine paper piecing on my daughter's wedding quilt. Would love to have it finished before their 5th anniversary (I believe this year will be their 3rd, lol. It is a Bali Wedding Star and is quite involved, but I am enjoying making it. It may be machine pieced....but it seems to be going so slowly

CathieJ said...

I had a queen sized quilt (my first quilt) that took me 20 years to hand-quilt. Now I send my queen-sized quilts to a long-arm quilter, because I know that I just can't hand quilt quickly enough to finish them in a timely manner for the recipients.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I love slow stitching, but my hands have decided to take a vacation - Surgery in a week on the right hand (CTS and trigger thumb). So I know that it will be a couple of weeks before I can join the slow stitching, but enjoy looking at others progress. Do not feel bad about the time it has taken to do your quilt, I have some of my very first quilts that are waiting in line! Have a great day.

Cathy said...

I admire your perseverance over that number of years! It's also too hot here now to hand quilt. I don't have a/c so will be working on smaller projects from now on.

scraphappy said...

Perseverance is such an important life skill. We quilters have plenty of chances to practice it with wonderful long term projects like this one. Slow and steady will win the day!

Deb said...

Oh my I have one of those UFO (storage) quilts I work on only in winter I began it in 1989 and its 3/4 of the way hand quilted, living in Florida winter is the only time I work on it.

Sarah said...

Well in my reconning you are half way through the stitching! I admire your perseverance!

Edie said...

I believe that quilts are like a fine wine, "they are ready when it is their time" I have had a few that have languished toward the twenty year mark in finishing. Sometimes it is because there is an issue as to how to finish them, some were "what was I thinking", but I also have had ones that I didn't have a "home" for, and then finished to donate for such things as "flood or fire victims". I also have one that I have been hand quilting, and it will be a few more winters before it is done. Thanks for sharing. raydeer@memlane.com

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I think it's great that you have persevered and not abandoned your quilt. It's going to be wonderful.

Kate said...

Congrats on making so much progress on this UFO. Enjoy your slow stitching today.

Lyndsey said...

Great progress on the quilt, it is looking great.

Janet O. said...

Hey, you are getting there! And when you finish, I will send you the top in my hoop that was finished in 2009, basted in 2016, and still is on the same hoop area for hand quilting!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I came here from a link on Deborah's Bits and Pieces. After reading the first paragraph on this post I am compelled to leave a comment. I have recently become more involved in hand stitching and your comment about becoming more appreciative of small things is so true. And here I thought it was because I retired. Perhaps a combination of both, which has allowed me to slow down. This is a great link party. Thank you and all that participate for continuing to blog.
Carol

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Now that is long-term for sure but it will be done in the end and it looks great!