Sunday, November 05, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching



Last night we turned our clocks back one hour because it is the end of Daylight Saving Time. Which only means that we all get one extra hour of time. Well, we don't really, but we delude ourselves into thinking this is a real thing. The sun is not actually taking one hour longer to rotate around the earth today. 
But don't we all talk about wanting more time to get things done? 
What did you do with the "extra hour" you were given this weekend? I would like to say that I used the extra hour for hand stitching, but truthfully I just slept longer! 

Today I will be working on more alternate blocks for my Life Is Beautiful quilt. Here are the 6 that I've quilted so far. 
When starting to quilt my latest block, I noticed that the sandwich felt quite thick in the middle. I unpinned the block and separated the layers, and realized that I had forgotten to cut away the fabric circle behind the applique. Why didn't I notice that when I was pin basting the block??!

So I cut away the excess fabric behind the appliqued circle, re-basted the sandwich, and started again.
I can't really blame it on sleep deprivation since I had a whole extra hour of sleep!


What are you hand stitching today? 
We don't want to know what your sewing machine is working on. Here at Slow Sunday Stitching we are "old school" and want to know about "your people power" projects which involve only your needles, threads, scissors, and your very own hands

   
    An InLinkz Link-up
   

16 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I will be using my extra hour to sew! I linked up with my Christmas quilt binding that I did earlier this week but I have also been working on my CCS project this week (and will be working on it today too). I love seeing what everyone is up to each week with this link~up. Your handwork is always a highlight!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I wish I would have had an extra hour of sleep. I still woke up at the same time but it was an hour earlier! I have a retreat later this week. Staying up nights will get me adjusted to the new time change.

Enjoy your stitching today. The "Life Is Beautiful" quilt is very pretty.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Let's see ; I got up at 5, fed the cat, let the dogs out and back in, realized it was really 4, went back to bed and tossed and turned for an hour, and got up at 6 which was really 5. :)

Jill said...

At least you found the extra batting before more stitches were sewn. How about blaming the full moon? Lol. Thanks for the reminder that Slow Stitching Sunday is for hand needlework and relaxing. Hope to join you and others later today.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I admit I slept a little longer! today off and on in between yard work I will be quilting on my flannel quilt and appliqueing leaves! The sewing machine might come on too - but it is mostly hand work today!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your alternate blocks look great! Yeah, some quilters think cutting out the extra fabric compromises the block, but I don't find that is true. I think if you believe that you should only being making whole cloth quilts LOL

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your stitching is just so immaculate, Kathy.

Denise :) said...

I used my extra hour to finally put out a blog post on a Sunday morning. LOL! I love the circles -- and it's such a clever technique!! :)

Deb A said...

I read with my extra hour! Planning to hand stitch later today in the hotel room after visiting with family today. So nice to be 'home' in Vermont if only for a week.

Cathy said...

It takes me weeks to get adjusted to time changes, darn it! I woke up at same time only it was an hour earlier.

I don't do much applique but I've never cut the back out because I've not trusted myself to do so. I've always been afraid my scissors would dart off where it wasn't supposed to go.

And I must say you have the most beautiful stitching.

Sarah said...

Glad you realised before you had gone too far with your latest block! It's looking sooooo good.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

OK I bit the dust and ordered the pattern - took me all this time watching you make your beautiful quilt!!! I am looking forward to getting the pattern. Yours will be beautiful.

Did you order the kit or select your own fabrics?

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Oh yes - DST - I dislike it immensely! But it will be nice to get back to daylight at 6:30 and early sunset! Love the quilt,of course.

Julierose said...

Hi Kathy--Well i made it back this week; my quilting mojo has decided to come back; finally! Your Life is Beautiful is looking so lovely--and with those colors it could be a Christmas (or year round actually) piece too...
hugs and thanks for hosting us all Julierose

Kate said...

I got to sit at the sewing machine for another hour this weekend. It's easy to forget those finishing steps, I usually try to do the same step on every block so I don't forget. Of course, the way I work, it can be weeks between when I restart on an ongoing project.

Miaismine said...

Oh! Yes...daylight savings.....ug. The older I get the more it affects me! Your quilt is coming along so nicely! After finishing a hand pieced/quilted mini, I am stunned by the softness of the look! Loving learning about Slow Stitching! Thank you for sharing and hosting!