Monday, February 12, 2018

Swap Blocks on the Design Wall



I have friends who participate in a variety of swaps on Instagram and Facebook, but I'm not interested in having those accounts. The only swap I regularly participate in is Barb Vedder's annual block swap.
In 2015 we swapped bowtie blocks and you can read about my finished quilt here. I hand quilted this one and it's one of my all time favourite quilts!





In 2016 we swapped broken dishes blocks and those blocks are in a quilt top. It has been in the UFO closet while I am trying to decide if it needs a border or just a red binding. I want to hand quilt this one too... maybe in red?!?
What do you think?







This year we are swapping 6" churn dash blocks. I have all the parts sewn for the blue blocks and am having a relaxing time putting the blocks together. It's a no-brainer kind of task, but perhaps I have been a little too relaxed about it and need to engage the brain a little more?
8 Churn Dash blocks and 1 Dog?

I actually have more than 20 blocks sewn accurately, and the dog will be unsewn and remade into a churn dash ... 
hey, he could be a churn dashhund!! LOL

To see more design wall blog posts, hop over to Small Quilts.

14 comments:

piecefulwendy said...

Oh dear, I'm chuckling maybe a little too much at your dachshund. Only because I've been there, and done that! Love churn dash blocks, they're so fun to make!

Chris said...

Churned Dashhund . . . too funny

Rebecca Grace said...

That little Churned Dachshund is darling! I say keep him like that and make that block into the label. Then you have an easy name for your quilt, the Churned Dachshund!

Louise said...

Thanks for sharing your "creative" doggy block! It's good to know that we all make those oops blocks :)

I really like the Broken Dishes in red and white. It will look so great with a red border and/or binding! Classic. I'd be too chicken to quilt it with red thread myself, but that would look great.

Karen said...

I used to participate in some block swaps but have gotten away from it. Just was not using the blocks and ending up passing them on to others.

AnnieO said...

I’m sewing too! My blocks are solids for the Modern swappers. These little blocks are so cute. I’ve got about 10 more done than you, and resewed a few dogs already!

Janet O. said...

Oh, you make me laugh!! :) Was it a late night, or was your mind off in la la land? Very funny, but so creative, too. You could design a whole new pattern!
I am not on Facebook or Instagram, either, but I also don't do Barb's swaps. I DO, however, enjoy seeing what everyone else is busy with as they participate.

sandi s said...

I love your quilts, their all wonderful. I look forward to seeing your churn dash quilt. I follow Barb but didn’t participate in the swap.
Hugs, Sandi

Susan said...

Too cute - a churn dashhund! And so goes no-brainer tasks!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I love them all. Nice to do the swaps.

Mary said...

Oops, I see in those Churn Dashes! 6" is the smallest block I like to make. the 9-patch Block configuration are a favorite. Even with hst's thrown in to make other fun designs. Have lots of fun!!! Maybe too much wine?? I do Facebook and Instagram, but no Swaps on them. Just posting keeps me busy!

Suzanne said...

I like the un-churn dash block! It is going to be a lovely quilt when finished.

Barb said...

wow! what great swap block quilts. I really like the setting for both of them and they are different from most that I've seen.
Are you in the FWB Facebook group? I'd love to see them posted there.
Your churn dashes look really really great!

Amy said...

I love how you've finished the swap blocks so far! The only top I've completed from them is the Broken Dishes one, and it still needs quilting. I'm participating in the Modern Churndash swap this year, and I mailed them last night! Now to get back to making a few more of the bow ties...